Seattle Nativity School is a Catholic, Jesuit-endorsed STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) middle school seeking to break the cycle of poverty through an education that nourishes souls and ignites leaders for love and service. The school opened its doors in September of 2013 to its first class of 6th graders. Now, Seattle Nativity School serves youth in 6th through 8th grade who qualify for free or reduced lunch, offering a challenging and supportive learning environment to motivate students of all faith backgrounds. We strive to graduate young men and women for others who are: religious, open to growth, committed to justice, intellectually competent, loving, and grateful.
Starting with the opening of the 2019-2020 teacher in-service days and continuing through the academic school year.
The Language Arts teacher will work with colleagues to develop and implement a rigorous, cross-curricular English Language Arts Curriculum for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to: Mr. Edward Nelson, Principal, email@example.com.
Candidates of diverse backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply.
• Teach Language Arts to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
• Create a supportive and caring classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another, through student-centered instruction, collaboration and assessment.
• Implement a standards-based, academically rigorous curriculum that challenges students of varying ability levels.
• Pursue professional growth through study and experimentation to remain current in methods and techniques for instruction.
• Utilize data to reflect on student learning and improve teaching practices.
• Use culturally responsive teaching practices to create a welcoming and inclusive environment that affirms each student’s culture and identity.
• Monitor students in a variety of educational settings (e.g. classroom, school grounds, hallways, lunchroom, restrooms, field trips, study hall/after school, etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
• Communicate effectively with the administration, colleagues, interns and volunteers, parents and/or legal guardians.
• Present a positive faith-based role model for students and families.
• A dynamic teacher with a proven track record of successful middle-level instruction in contexts rich with diversity.
• Experience in language arts curriculum planning and development.
• Ability to work proactively, collaboratively, inclusively, and respectfully with others.
• Keen understanding of the flexibility and innovation inherent in a startup school.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience working with diverse students and communities facing economic and social challenges.
• Hold a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred).
• Hold a valid teaching certificate.
• Experience using technology within the classroom.
• Demonstrate a commitment to social justice.
• Ability to develop and implement a learning environment promoting Catholic identity.
• Enthusiastic commitment to the Jesuit tradition of education and the mission of Nativity Schools.
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance as well as ongoing Safe-Environment Training with the Seattle Archdiocese.
Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Seattle Nativity School
2800 S. Massachusetts St.
Seattle, WA 98144