Director of Communications
General Position Description
Regis High School seeks a passionate, mission-driven, and experienced individual to play a pivotal role in the development team and the administration of the school overall. The ideal candidate is an experienced communications professional with a proven track record of results and a demonstrated aptitude for leadership. The Director of Communications is responsible for leading all communications efforts at Regis, primarily within the Office of Development but with responsibilities extending to other areas of administration and the broader school community as well.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Director of Communications directs and oversees all marketing, advertising, and communication initiatives at Regis High School, including print publications, media relationships, brand management, news stories, web and email design, social media, and public relations strategies. The Director of Communications also manages the Communications Associate, and works closely with the President and senior leadership of the school on various internal and external communications initiatives.
- Creates and delivers strategic advancement messaging to engage our community through multi-platform communications to share the Regis High School story with our key constituencies.
· Designs and manages the production of all professionally-printed material, including magazines, direct mail packages, brochures, booklets, stationery, postcards, banners, and event programs and materials. For the quarterly Regis News magazine, the Director of Communications also serves as magazine editor, writing content and setting deadlines for contributed content, in addition to fulfilling design responsibilities.
· Leads the marketing and promotional efforts behind fundraising campaigns, including the Annual Fund, capital campaigns, Giving Tuesday, and Giving Weekend, among others.
· Writes news stories for publication on the Regis website, and promotes those stories within other communications channels.
· Defines the school’s website design and layout, and manages web content.
· Designs HTML email templates used for communicating with various constituencies, and produces web-friendly graphics to use within those templates. Defines a uniform signature design for staff Outlook email messages.
· Maintains a Graphic Identity Guide for all school logos, colors, typefaces, and stationery (both print and digital), and sets guidelines and standards for how departments and employees use the Regis High School brand.
· Maintains contacts with external media, and utilizes those resources to promote targeted news stories and events. Serves as point of-contact for all media inquiries, and coordinates with senior staff during crisis management.
· Photographs and videotapes various school events and newsworthy happenings for use in accompanying news stories, or in print and electronic media.
· Produces videos to promote various school news stories or initiatives.
· Manages the school’s presence on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Monitors various department social media accounts and set guidelines for appropriate content.
A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business, liberal arts, non-profit management or other related field is required. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Evidence of continuing professional education through conferences, seminars, or professional associations is preferred.
A minimum of three to five years of professional communications/marketing experience is required. Leadership experience in a development team and/or at an independent school are expected. Capital campaign experience is preferred.
Skills & Qualifications
- Understanding of and a passion for Regis’s mission of educating young men in the tradition of the Society of Jesus including a respect for and understanding of Regis’s Jesuit and Catholic culture.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to articulate complex ideas in a meaningful way. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing communications projects, including coordinating and collaborating with others to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress.
- Hands-on experience in Adobe InDesign products is expected.
- Experience with HTML design for email and web is expected.
- A self-starter with the ability to initiate and follow through on new programs and projects that strive to achieve strategic and organizational goals.
- Creative and analytical skills.
- Ability and confidence to represent Regis High School to many constituents and external organizations, including media outlets.
- Occasional evenings, weekends, and travel are required for this position.
Send a resume and compelling letter of interest by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Start Date: January 2019 or a mutually agreeable date.
Commensurate with experience and level of success in institutional communications and advancement. Benefits package is comprehensive and competitive.