COLLEGE ADVISOR & GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
Regis High School is a Catholic, Jesuit, college preparatory school for approximately 530 academically gifted and talented young men. Located in New York City and founded in 1914, Regis is the only Jesuit, full-scholarship high school in the country. Regis is committed to both academic excellence and fostering a spirit of generosity and service to those in need. Regis seeks to inspire and educate the ethnically diverse young men in its care to become imaginative Catholic leaders committed to promoting justice and exerting leadership in the Church, in their civic community, and in their future chosen profession.
Regis seeks a qualified candidate to join its faculty as a College Advisor/Guidance Counselor beginning August 26, 2019 for the Academic Year 2019-2020. This is a full-time faculty position. Position comes with full benefits. Work hours may vary and will include some evenings and weekends for special school events. Salary is very competitive for the New York City area and is commensurate with experience. The 2019-20 school year for faculty members ends on June 12, 2020.
· Ability to provide knowledgeable college advising, personal, and academic support to 11th and 12th grade students with both compassion and candor
· Candidate must have knowledge of colleges and universities nationwide: their academic programs, admission policies, and financial aid policies and procedures. Knowledge of standardized testing programs and interpretation of data is also an asset.
· Ability to serve as a credible resource to parents of the students
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak fluently, knowledgeably, and persuasively, both in small group settings and before large audiences.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently, an inclination to be a team player, and an orientation to detail as a self-starter to ensure prompt adherence to deadlines and other responsibilities
· Masters Degree in school counseling, social work or closely related field
· Three to five years of college counseling experience
· Strong technology skills including experience with specific college counseling software
Specifically, the Counselor:
1. supports the Jesuit/Catholic mission of the school;
2. works in collaboration with the administration in observing the principles and ideals for which Regis High School stands and should conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner which shall not bring reproach upon himself/herself;
3. devotes energies to teaching and counseling in conformity with the policies of Regis High School and is subject at all times to the general control and supervision of the Principal;
4. Conducts regularly scheduled group guidance sessions in a classroom context
5. Conducts scheduled one-on-one student and family college advising sessions as well as counseling sessions on issues ranging from family and personal development, standardized test interpretation, and general progress and performance;
6. participates in weekly department meetings and student services meetings in collaboration with other guidance counselors, the clinical psychologist and members of the school Administration
7. serves as a liaison with academic advisors, classroom teachers, and administrators to aid in facilitating the students’ academic, emotional, social, and spiritual development
8. maintains accurate and up to date files on students, incorporating notes from individual meetings and student assignments
9. displays competent and current knowledge of guidance and counseling, as well as trends in college admissions and participates in professional development activities;
10. is responsible also for attendance at events listed in the school’s Employee Handbook under “Faculty Staff Participation in Key Events,” attendance at faculty meetings, and participation in other such professional incidental services, in the judgment of the Principal, and as the needs of the school require.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and a list of three references by email to Ms. Silvia Gerber, Secretary to the Search Committee, email@example.com. Qualified applicants, when all their required documents are submitted, will be contacted regarding next steps. Regis is an equal opport